Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bad Commute

I have had worse commutes, but tonight was up there.

First of all there are no buses in sight on this rainy evening. I decide to take the train.

I get on the train, find a seat, and the horror begins.
The seat smells. Not sure who sat there before me, and maybe it's a mixture of wet fabric, but I am grossed out. Unfortunately, I'm blocked into my seat by a few people and I'm impatiently praying for this train to be the fastest train in Chicago.

Between my gag reflex, I have two people next to me having a debate on physics, mass, matter, theories.

Oh.
My.
Gosh.

To coin a co-worker's phrase, I just wanted to poke my eyes out.
Now, I'm not a superficial person, I am quite serious, and I do enjoy intellectual conversations.
But really? Does this loud debate NEED to happen on my commute home.

At last, a shining moment as the train pulls up to my stop. I get outside and begin to open my umbrella, with happy thoughts of getting home and unwinding, when the entire top of the umbrella pops off.
Seriously.
I try to reattach the top to the pole/handle, but it's an old, cheap umbrella and it is completely busted. Keep in mind it is now pouring outside, and having walked through a downpour earlier this week without an umbrella, I am determined to make this work. So I stuff the pole/handle into my purse, strain my fingers to pry open the umbrella, and briskly walk the 7 blocks home.

Umbrella is now in the garbage, I'm relatively dry, and enjoying a new TV show that my Cousin Jenny found....it's "Three Sheets" on MoJo. Check it out!

And here's to a better commute to all of you!

No comments: